Agriculture, Craft making
Brookfield Farm ethos is based on farming, food and craft beeswax candle production while maintaining biodiversity, wildlife sustainability and a strong link with end product consumers. The farm has three main integrated elements: Hive Gifts, a visitor experience and a productive diversified farm. Farm enterprises include broadleaf forestry, crops, bees and organically certified sheep. The farm and business were founded by Ailbhe Gerrard, a farmer, bee keeper and craft maker of beeswax candles.
Brookfield Farm Hive Gifts is an original concept, a full-cycle bee-keeping and beeswax candle production which also educates visitors and customers about the importance of bees and other pollinators while connecting consumers with food production.
The Brookfield Farm visitor experience currently welcomes visitors for educational farm walks and talks and candle making demonstrations.
Recent Awards include:
- Bank of Ireland Start Up Awards – Winner Bronze award for Creative Retail and national finalist for Craft 2017
- Bank of Ireland Start Up Awards Regional finalist Sustainable Start up 2016
- Blas na hEireann – National Finalist Honey awards 2017
- Organics International IFOAM Masterclass Korea Scholarship winner 2017
- Nuffield Agricultural Scholar awarded 2016
• Selected Design Ireland Best Gifts RDS National Craft + Design Fair 2016 + 2017
I love the beauty of the landscape, and am proud of the impact Brookfield Farm has made in environmental and social areas. Recent nomination: https://www.farmingfornature.ie/nominees/ailbhe-gerrard/
Brookfield Farm is a GLAS demonstration farm for Teagasc. Numerous visitors visit the farm on open days to enjoy flower meadows, organically certified grassland and native broadleaf trees.